Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cafe conversation

As an avid reader of the daily paper I have my favorite sections that are featured on particular days. On Wednesdays I make sure to flip through the Higher Education section of The Australian. This is what struck a bit of conversation in the cafe today. The heading read: 'Humanity denied in a dash for cash'

According to education experts as an international student I am treated as a consumer in this country and am not seen or treated as a person of value.

This is what the University of Melbourne's professor of higher educations had to say.

"We separate them from the circle of our humanism, the generosity we extend to ourselves and perhaps to short term visitors,"

Interesting?

I must admit, I can not help but understand that we are treated as consumers... Considering education is Australias third largest export behind coal and iron ore!!

No comments:

Post a Comment