Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Milano bookstores



I LOVE bookstores, when I travel I search for them, but not the general chain stores, the ones down random laneways, off the beaten track, supporting independent publishers and specific categories.

Milan has proven to have the best bookstores I have found so far. One of my favorites is Libreria 121+ . It started as a Libreria al Tempo, a Temporary Bookstore, a concept I didnt know exhisted but is supposedly popular in Milan. They started with a shop lease for 121 days to trial the bookstore and see if the location fit the shop. A great concept!

It features books on design, graphics, architecture, interior design, planning, landscape architecute, urbanism, photography, art, art history, and a selection of great contemporary kids books. A very specific collection of books and magazines from around the world... I was in heaven! Books are a real weakness of mine and unfortunately my need for them results in excess baggage fees when I travel...

121 was a real experience too, Nicoletta the lovely girl working there offered me an espresso, we had a good chat and had more espresso :) The owner then walked in, a soft spoken white haired italian man. He was the mind behind the unique collection of books. He facinated me. Funny thing was almost all books were in English and he didnt speak a word of it! Through Nicoletta's translation we chat until we discovered we both spoke French and off we went into conversation. I spent about 2 hours there. A great memory of cultural exchange.

Another favorite is the bookstore in the picture above, just around the corner from La Scala, Nicoletta put me on to it. Thanks!



M.





http://www.corraini.com/boxcorraini.php

1 comment: